'Dogfest' to top off annnual 'hots' weekend
The showcase musical event for Alfred’s annual Hot Dog Day weekend 2014 will be “Dogfest,” a six-hour festival including six bands, numerous food/beverage vendors, and additional “surprises” hosted by Alfred University (AU) at the McLane Center and the surrounding parking lot Saturday, April 26, from 6 p.m.-midnight.
Featured acts will include:
- Indie rock band American Authors, widely recognized for their hit song “Best Day of Your Life.” The Berklee College of Music graduates and Brooklyn natives will release their debut album, “Oh, What a Life,” on March 4.
- Hip hop/R&B artist Mack Wilds, whose debut album “New York: A Love Story” was nominated for a 2014 Grammy with his single “Own It” still rising up the R&B charts. Mack has gained notoriety for his role on television shows such as “The Wire,” the re-launched “90210,” and the film “Red-Tails.”
- Country artist Greg Bates, whose two hits “Did it for the Girl” and “Fill in the Blank” received heavy rotation on country radio stations. “Did it for the Girl” peaked at #5 and was nominated for Single of the Year at the 2013 American Country Awards.
- Indie pop band MisterWives, whose recent single “Reflections” was named I-Tune’s “heat seeker hit of the week” and was reported by MTV Buzzworthy that the industry is “ready to crown them the next golden children of pop.”
- Boston’s Hunting Stories, described as “upbeat, harmonious bluegrass set to the rhythm of a raucous kick drum.”
- and rounding out the line-up - What Cheer? Brigade, a “19-piece brass band from Providence, RI with an aggressive mix of Bollywood, The Balkens, New Orleans, Samba, and Hip-Hop, played with the intensity of metal.”
Tickets go on sale at the AU Powell Campus Center Information Desk, 8:30-4:30 p.m. weekdays beginning Wednesday, Feb. 26. Cost for the general public is $15 pre-event and $20 at the door; AU and Alfred State College students will pay $10 pre-event and $15 at the door. An online sales site and additional Alfred ticket sale outlets will be announced shortly.
More than 100 volunteers will be needed to produce a successful show, said Dan Napolitano, AU’s director of Student Activities. He is seeking community members, faculty, staff, and students to help provide a safe and enjoyable evening of entertainment. To volunteer or request more information, contact Napolitano at email@example.com or 607.871.2671.
AU Press Releases