Allen Term (Winter Term)
Make the Most of your Winter Break!
(December 18, 2017- January 12, 2018)
Why Should I Take an Allen Term Course?
- Complete a full semester course, on-line*, within a few weeks
- Concentrate on one course without the burden of a heavy course load
- Advance your academic standing
- Accelerate progress toward graduation
- Satisfy a requirement
- Explore new interests
What Courses are Available?
Below is a listing of the many diverse courses available during last year's Allen Term from each of our five colleges & schools. Please visit BannerWeb to view the complete, most up-to-date course list and to register.
- ACCT 211 - Financial Accounting - 3 credits - Theresa Gunn
- ART 200 - The Business of Art - 3 credits - Caitlin Brown
- ART 200 - Contemporary Printmaking Materials - 3 credits – Myles Calvert
- ART 200 - Preparing the Digital Image - 3 credits – Myles Calvert
- ART 391 - Introduction to Glaze Formulation – 4 credits – Matthew Katz
- ART 391 - Introduction to Clays - 4 credits - Matthew Katz
- ART 399 - Glaze Effect & Color – 4 credits – Matthew Katz
- BIOL 300 - Tropical Ecology - 4 credits - Heather Zimbler-DeLorenzo
- BUSI 113 – Business Statistics – 3 credits – Grzegorz Pac
- BUSI 301 - Business Data Analytics - 3 credits - Mark Lewis
- CHEM 310 - Basic Organic Chemistry - 3 credits - John D'Angelo
- COMM 300 - Dis/Ability & Mass Media - 3 credits - Corrie Burdick
- ECON 201 – Principles of Microeconomics – 4 credits – Grzegorz Pac
- ECON 202 – Principles of Macroeconomics – 3 credits – Grzegorz Pac
- ECON 320 - Sports Economics - 3 credits - Grzegorz Pac
- ENGR 305 - Engineering Statistics - 3 credits - Thomas Steere
- FIN 348 - Managerial Finance - 3 credits - Nadia Nafar
- LAW 300 - Sports Law - 3 credits - Luis Rodriguez
- MATH 151 - Calculus I - 4 credits - Joseph Petrillo
- MATH 152 - Calculus II - 4 credits - Joseph Petrillo
- Math 253 - Calculus III - 4 credits - Likin Simon Romero
- MGMT 300 - Gender/Business Leadership - 3 credits - Diana Maguire
- MGMT 328 - Management & Organizational Behavior - 3 credits - Diana Maguire
- MGMT 484 - Operations Management - 3 credits - Fred Farley
- MBA 600 - Gender/Buisness Leadership - 3 credits - Diana Maguire
- MKTG 221 - Marketing Principles & Management - 3 credits - Melissa Jusianiec
- MUSC 110 - Music Appreciation - 4 credits - Lisa Lantz
- PSYC 300 - Introduction to Alcohol and Substance Abuse - 3 credits - Kevin Curtin
- PSYC 322 - Health Psychology - 3 credits - Robert Maiden
- SPED 640 - Multimodal Literacy in the Inclusive Classroom - 3 credits - Corrie Burdick
- WGST 300 - Gender/Business Leadership - 3 credits - Diana Maguire
How Do I Register for a Class?
- Apply - Non-Alfred University students must apply for Allen Term
- Register - current Alfred University students can register in BannerWeb
Any questions about registration may be directed to the Student Service Center at 607.871.2123, or via email.
How Much Does it Cost?
The tuition rate is $990* per course (not per credit hour). Both 3 and 4 credit courses are available and all classes are being offered in a distance learning, on-line format - there will be no class meetings on campus.
*Additional fees may apply to some courses.
Registration Deadlines and Refunds
Last Day to Register or Add/Drop: December 20, 2017
Last Day to Withdraw from a Course: January 3, 2018
Tuition Refund Policy 2017-2018
Week 1 End Date 12/20/17 100% Refunded
Week 1 End Date 12/22/17 90% Refunded
Week 1 End Date 12/24/17 80% Refunded
Week 2 End Date 12/27/17 60% Refunded
Week 2 End Date 12/20/17 40% Refunded
Week 3 End Date 1/3/18 20% Refunded
Week 3-4 End Date 1/12/18 0% Refunded
*Please check out the Online Learning Readiness Checklist to view the technical requirements for on-line courses, and to assess your readiness to take an on-line course.
Interested in our Summer Term?
What is Allen Term?
Allen Term refers to the weeks between the end of the Fall Semester and the beginning of the Spring Semester when students can take Alfred University courses on-line. It is often referred to as Winter Term at other colleges and universities. Allen Term courses are perfect for either catching up or springing ahead of schedule.
Allen Term may sound like something brand new, but it is actually very much a part of Alfred University's history. In fact, it was an official part of Alfred University's Academic Calendar from 1969-1978. What is different is that all the courses are being taught completely on-line*!
Why Is It Called Allen Term?
Allen Term is named after Dr. Jonathan Allen, Alfred University's second president and a pioneer educator. P.A. Burdick once said that "Jonathan Allen did not live for what the world could give him, but for what he could give the world."
"Education is the healthful growth, the harmonious perfecting, of the whole being." - Jonathan Allen