As of the Fall 2013 semester, the CDC will maintain credential files only for students in pre-health majors. All other students can create an electronic account using Interfolio. If you have an existing credential file at the CDC that you would like transferred to Interfolio, see link below. If you have any questions about this change, please feel free to contact us at 607-871-2164 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost to Set Up an Interfolio Account
The cost for the account is currently $19.00 for one (1) year; $39.90 for three (3) years; and $57.00 for five (5) years
You will be able to store any type of document: writing samples, articles, test scores, unofficial transcripts and whatever you need to have a complete application package. You can upload documents directly into your account, or mail them to Interfolio and they will upload them for you (such as confidential letters).
Building Your Online Credential File
When you are ready to begin building your application package in your account, you will contact Interfolio to ask that a request for a letter of recommendation be sent to (whomever). That person will receive the request, write the letter on your behalf, and submit it to Interfolio to be stored in your account.
Need additional help?
Interfolio offers phone support five days a week (202-223-3358) and help requests sent via email will be answered within one (1) business day.
Dossier/credential file Checklist
- Letters of Recommendations and waiver forms.
- You should have at least three letters in your file for it to be complete.Â The following are the letters recommended for your file.Â Letters should specify the kind of health professional school you are applying for but should not name a specific school:
- At least 1-2 letters from science faculty
- One (1) letter from someone who has supervised your research or taught you
- Clinical volunteer work supervisor
- Employer or work supervisor
- Personal statement /application essay(s) and the common application you submit to health professional schools.
- Verification of volunteer work or internship.
- Curriculum checklist of coursework relevant to prehealth studies (form provided by AU).
- List of schools you are applying to.
- A copy of the common application you submitted to health professional school.
To open a dossier/credential file
1. Print forms: Authorization to Release Credential File and Registration for Credential Services.
2. Return forms to CDC by fax 607.871.2791 or U.S. mail.
3. Keep a copy of the registration form for your records.
To request a letter of recommendation
Requesting a letter to be added to your pre-health file requires the completion of the top portion of our Pre-Health Letter of Recommendation Waiver form, that is given to the person writing the letter of recommendation. By using the form you can choose to waive your right of access to this information under the Buckley Amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Only letters accompanied by the form will be considered confidential. The person(s) writing the letter for you will complete the bottom half of the waiver form and return to the CDC along with your letter.
Letters of recommendation
- What kind of information can I expect in a reference letter, a letter of recommendation, or an evaluation?
- Security and confidentiality
- Letters of recommendation are maintained in a secured file with access available only at your written request or upon your written authorization.
- The CDC supplies forms for those wishing confidential recommendations. By using the form you waive your right of access to this information under the Buckley Amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Only letters accompanied by the form will be considered confidential.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to follow up on credential requests. The Career Development Center will not assume responsibility for the failure of credentials reaching their destination when our internal records indicate the file was sent as requested.
What is a pre-health dossier/credential file?
A credential file is an organized collection of letters of recommendation and copies of certifications needed for job and graduate school applications. The CDC assists with organizing these materials and, at your written request, will mail, scan, fax, or upload your file to employers, schools, or websites of your choice. It is important to note that transcripts (official or unofficial) are not part of the credential file.
What gets sent?
The entire contents of your file will be sent unless you request otherwise. You are permitted to determine which letters are sent to prospective employers or graduate schools.
How long are my files kept?
Pre-med/pre-vet/pre-dental credential files are maintained indefinitely in electronic form.
Transcript requests are directed to the Registrar's Office in the Student Service Center.
If you have any questions about these services, please email the Career Development Center or call 607.871.2164.