McComsey Career Development Center
|Faculty and Staff
The Career Development Center staff believes in the importance of partnering with faculty to teach students to make sound career decisions. We offer a variety of services and will happily customize any of them to best fit your needs.
We encourage you to encourage your students to take advantage of our services to students as early as possible.
Our planning guide, Four Years to Career Success at Alfred University, was designed to assist students with the process.
- Amanda Baker - Director, liaison for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and College of Professional Studies
- Jill Crandall - Assistant Director for Experiential Education, liaison for Engineering
- Corey Fecteau - Career Advisor, liaison for all art related majors, and Service Learning Coordinator
From the general to the specific we welcome the opportunity to prepare a presentation for your class or audience. To request a workshop call 607.871.2164 or contact your liaison (see above). Sample topics have included but are not limited to:
- Job or internship searching
- Resume & cover letter development
- Salary and benefit negotiation
- Finding grants and residencies
- Marketing your leadership skills
- How to successfully relocate
- Backpack to briefcase: transitioning to the workplace (for outgoing interns and co-ops
- Interviewing skills
- Career opportunities by major
- Graduate school searching
- Careers in communication
- Creating a portfolio
- Undeclared but not scared
- Electronic resumes and online applications
- Internships and summer research opportunities for science majors
- Working for nonprofit and activist organization
- Stump the Career Professional (Q&A session)
Class Resume Reviews
Your college liaison (listed above) will review the resumes of your students and return them to you with suggestions. Please contact that person for details.
Guidelines for Reference Givers
The National Association of Colleges and Employers provides a list of Suggested Guidelines for Reference Givers that are designed to assist you in preparing letters of recommendation.
Confidential Career Advising for Faculty and Staff
The staff at the Career Development Center can provide confidential services to you and your family members if you're job searching or need another set of eyes to look over your CV or resume.