Focused on success
The staff at the Career Development Center are dedicated to helping identify and match students' interests, values, and skills with career options. Whether it is selecting a major and figuring out what to do with it, setting career goals, searching for a graduate school, or landing a first job following graduation, we are prepared to use our extensive resources to achieve successful outcomes. Each year the CDC prepares a detailed Outcomes Report indicating what students do upon graduation from Alfred.
We encourage students to visit the Career Development Center in their first year so that we can help them get an early start with career planning. Our planning guide, Four Years to Career Success at Alfred University, was designed to assist students with the process.
Summary of AccomplishmentÂ for 2014-2015 Academic Year (2014-2015 annual report)
- 85% increase in the number of students completing an internship for credit during the 2014-15 academic year when compared to the average number of internships completed for credit in the previous six years
- 851 individuals completed 1845 counseling/advising appointments which represents a 15% increase over the previous year
- Engineering Career Fair had 44 employers register and 320 students attend
- Successful alumni networking events in Rochester and Washington, DC
- Event Planning Intern, Julie Canova, coordinated a very successful Business Connections Reception that included six alumni (two trustees â€“ Greg Connors and Terry Galanis), two local employers, and 48 students/faculty
- Re-instituted Mocha Jocha walk-in hours (every Wednesday from noon to 2pm) where our Art Advisor Â met with an average of 4.4 students
- First year School of Engineering students were given extra credit to complete the MBTI. This resulted in over 80 students taking the assessment and having it reviewed with a CDC staff member
- In collaboration with University Relations and the School of Business, the CDC helped develop a finance mentoring program that connects students and alumni (this program is still in the developmental stage)
- 49% increase in the number of individual meetings with art and performing art students over the previous year
- Community Service: Building on the success of the fall day of service, Celebrate Service Celebrate Allegany, Alfred University and Alfred State College started a spring day of service, Spring Into Action. At the inaugural event on Saturday, April 18, approximately 175 students, faculty, and staff from Alfred’s two colleges completed 20 service projects in Allegany and Steuben Counties.
Serving current students and alumni
A unique feature of Alfred University's Career Development Center is the willingness to provide a full ranges of services to both current students and alumni. The use of technology enables us to remain in contact with those who wish to take advantage of our expertise and resources.
Alfred University prides itself in providing a wide variety of hands-on, real-life experiences for its students and the career development staff supports this commitment by
- Assisting students in finding suitable internships or co-ops
- Offering workshops and special events where students acquire and practice job seeking skills
Prepared for the future
The Career Development Center goes to great lengths to provide the resources, skills, and opportunities necessary for a successful transition from college. Examples include:
- Frederick W. and Janice J. Gibbs Career Resource Library - state-of-the-art facility with print and electronic media and 4 computers for career research
- Career and graduate school fairs
- On-campus recruiting - Approximately 100 companies visit Alfred each year to recruit
- Handshake - Our web-based job portal where employers post positions and allows students and alumni to post resumes and search for job and internship opportunities
- Connect with AU alumni through the AU CDC LinkedIn Group.
Just for parents
The Career Development staff recommends these links for parents
- College Parents of America College Parents of America is the only national membership association dedicated to advocating and to serving on behalf of current and future college parents.